As we already know, Firefox ESR Will Support Windows 7 and 8 Until Q3 2024which is related to this, Mozilla has finally released the latest version of Firefox, namely version 115 which will be the last version that still supports Windows 7 and Windows 8.
By page release note from Firefox 115, for Windows 7 and 8 users, users of the two OS will automatically be migrated or moved to Firefox ESR 115 which will still get a number of updates security important until September 2024 later.
"Mozilla is providing critical security updates through the Firefox ESR channel up until the end of ESR version 115, September 2024. After this, no security updates are provided and you are strongly encouraged to move to a supported version of Microsoft Windows." ungkap Mozilla
And just like Windows 7 and 8, this version will be the last Firefox version which will support macOS 10.12, 10.13, and 10.14 with the user method being moved to the Firefox ESR version.
Then are there any fixes and improvements that are present in Firefox 115? Of course there are, and here they are changelog his.
- Migrating from another browser? Now you can bring over the payment methods you’ve saved in Chrome-based browsers to Firefox.
- Hardware video decoding is now enabled for Intel GPUs on Linux.
- The Tab Manager dropdown now features close buttons, so you can close tabs more quickly.
- We’ve refreshed and streamlined the user interface for importing data in from other browsers.
- Users without platform support for H264 video decoding can now fallback to Cisco’s OpenH264 plug-in for playback.
- Windows Magnifier now follows the text cursor correctly when the Firefox title bar is visible.
- Windows users on low-end/USB wifi drivers and with OS geolocation disabled can now approve geolocation on a case-by-case basis without causing system-wide network instability.
- Various security fixes. Undo and redo are now available in the Password field.
- On Linux, middle clicks on the new tab button will now open the clipboard contents in the new tab. If the xclipboard content is a URL then that URL is opened, any other text is opened with your default search provider.
- For users with a Firefox Colorways built-in theme, the theme will be automatically migrated to the same theme hosted on addons.mozilla.org for Firefox profiles that have disabled add-ons auto-updates. This will allow users to keep their Colorways theme when they are later removed from Firefox installer files.
- Certain Firefox users may come across a message in the extensions panel indicating that their add-ons are not allowed on the site currently open. We have introduced a new back-end feature to only allow some extensions monitored by Mozilla to run on specific websites for various reasons, including security concerns.
Well, quite a lot, isn’t it? One of the most important things for you Firefox users on Linux, now Firefox supports video decoding hardware for Intel GPUs on Linux, so make sure you update your browser.
Meanwhile, for those of you who are still on Windows 7 and 8, this is the best browser that you can use at least until the end of 2024 before you really have to update your operating system.