It’s no longer uncommon for Windows users to experience errors when using the Microsoft Store. Sometimes the Microsoft Store won’t launch and other times, the Microsoft Store also struggles to download and update apps and games.
Well, on this occasion, WinPoin wants to give some tips for you how to fix the Microsoft Store that won’t install games. For those who are curious, just check the full details below:
1. Re-login the account on the Microsoft Store
You may not be able to download the game due to a temporary bug or an error in the Microsoft Store app. The easiest way to get rid of it is to exit the Store, end the process, and then log back in.
For those who don’t know how, you can follow the steps below:
- In the Microsoft Store, click user icon which is in the top right corner.
- Choose an option Sign out from there
- Next, open Task Manager and end the Microsoft Store process
- Reopen the Microsoft Store and sign in with the previous account
- Please try downloading a game or two if this method works for your problem
*If the results are still the same, try using a different Microsoft account.
2. Disable antivirus
One of the first things you should do if the Microsoft Store isn’t downloading new games or updating existing ones is to temporarily disable your antivirus. This is because security programs often misdetect certain processes, resulting in certain games or applications being blocked.
The best thing to do in this case is to temporarily disable the security or antivirus program. Once disabled, please download the required game and reactivate the program.
If you don’t want to disable the security program completely, you can also pause certain processes such as the firewall — this applies to Windows Defender. You can try disabling Windows Defender temporarily and see if that solves your problem.
3. Restart Windows Update Service
Windows Update Service will handle the installation of new programs and other updates on the system. If this service does not work properly, it will cause problems like the one you are experiencing right now.
To check if this service is working properly, you can follow these steps:
- Press Win + R to open Run.
- Typing services.msc in Run and click Enter.
- In the new window, look for Windows Update service and right-click it.
- Choose Properties.
- Double check whether the service is running or not. If it doesn’t work, click the button Start.
- If the service is already running, click the button Stop and press the button again Start to start.
- Click Apply > OK to save changes and check whether you can now download games from the Microsoft Store or not.
4. Clear Microsoft Store cache
If the problem persists, try clearing the Microsoft Store cache — there may be a malfunction that is preventing you from installing new programs and files. For those who don’t know how, please follow these steps:
- Press Win + R to open Run.
- Typing wsreset.exe and click Enter.
- After that, the Command Prompt will run the process for a few seconds.
- When finished, try to download the game you want again.
5. Run Windows Store troubleshooter
Another solution that you can try to solve this problem is to run Windows Store troubleshooter designed by Microsoft to scan for Microsoft Store-related issues.
In addition to the troubleshooter above, you can also try running System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM). The good thing about such utilities is that they not only identify problems but also attempt to fix them without requiring user input.
After you have run all the system scans, double check if the problem you are experiencing is fixed. If it still persists, continue with the next method below.
6. Check storage space
Perhaps, the cause of this problem is not something complicated, but rather the problem of insufficient storage in your Windows. The solution is very simple, because all you need to do is change the storage settings or delete some programs or files that may be no longer in use.
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Choose System > Storage.
- Choose an option Change where new content is saved.
- Change options New apps will save to according to the drive of your choice.
7. Perform a System Restore or Reinstall Windows
If the problem still persists, maybe the only way is to restore the system using system restore or you can reinstall your Windows so that various problems on your PC disappear and feel the sensation of the old PC feeling new. ️
Please wait 180 seconds or 3 minutes, the secret code will immediately appear under the countdown